1) As bread dough contains yeast which in result also produces alcohol, but when baked at high temperature, the alcohol vaporises. So is bread halal?
2) Also are all cheeses halaal,
like cheddar and mozzarella? If not what ingredient to check when buying cheese?
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Bread made with yeast is halal, provided that the bread or yeast does not contain other ingredients that are haram.
As for cheese, generally, the issue is only with the rennet used in it. If the rennet is from non-animal source, then the cheese will be halal. If the rennet is from animal source, then it depends on the animal that the rennet was extracted from:
animal from which the rennet was extracted is of the type whose meat cannot be
eaten from Shariah perspective – such as pigs – then the cheese
will be haram.
· If the animal from which the rennet was extracted is of the type whose meat can be eaten from Shariah perspective – such as cows, goats, sheep – then the cheese will be halal. This is regardless of whether or not that animal was slaughtered according to the requirements of the Shariah.
Hence, one should ascertain from the manufacturer the source of the rennet used in the cheese.
And Allah Ta'ala knows best
Mufti Faizal Riza
Darul Ifta Australia answers questions pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, some of these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.fatwa.org.au for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Ifta Australia.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.