1) Can I pay
zakat to Muslims of Syria who are suffering and have no food and no clothes ?
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
1) Yes, if they have no food and no clothes, you can give them zakat. For more details on who is allowed to be given zakat, please see this answer: http://www.fatwa.org.au/giving-zakat-to-family-member.html
2) Zakat is not compulsory on extra dinner plates etc. Zakat is only compulsory on these items: money, gold, silver and merchandise. A merchandise is anything that was bought with the intention of selling it.
And Allah Ta'ala knows best
Mufti Faizal Riza
Darul Ifta Australia answers questions pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, some of these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.fatwa.org.au for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Ifta Australia.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.