1. What is the difference between an Mu'min and a Muslim?
2.Toothpaste - Are there any ingredients in the toothpaste which we must check for before using the toothpaste? Does the rule of haraam and halaal also apply to toothpaste as well?
3.I heard some Shaykh in our area saying that it is permissible to look at women at times of need without any desire?Is this correct?
4. Where exactly are the seven heavens and the seven earth? We have heard it quite often and do believe in it but would like to know more in detail.
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
1) A Mu’min is one who affirms Iman. A Muslim is one who affirms Islam. To understand the difference between Iman and Islam, please see Ma’ariful Quran: vol. 8 pg. 148. You can download Ma’ariful Quran from here.
2) Yes, the rule of halal and haram applies to toothpastes too. You should enquire from the manufacturer if any animal sourced ingredient is used in it. If they say no, then you may use it. Otherwise, do not use it.
3) It is makrooh and sinful to look at young women without lust. As for looking with lust, it is haram.
The above applies to looking at the face and palms of a woman. As for looking at the other body parts, it is haram to do so regardless of whether or not one looks with lust. Yes, if there is a genuine need to look at a specific body part – such as a doctor needing to look at a specific body part to diagnose the illness – then it is permissible.
في الدر المختار: (و) ينظر (من الأجنبية) ولو كافرة مجتبى (إلى وجهها وكفيها فقط) للضرورة .... (فإن خاف الشهوة) أو شك (امتنع نظره إلى وجهها) فحلّ النظر مقيد بعدم الشهوة وإلا فحرام وهذا في زمانهم، وأما في زماننا فمنع من الشابة، قهستاني وغيره. وفي الشامي: (قوله مقيد بعدم الشهوة) قال في التتارخانية، وفي شرح الكرخي النظر إلى وجه الأجنبية الحرة ليس بحرام، ولكنه يكره لغير حاجة اهـ وظاهره الكراهة ولو بلا شهوة (قوله وإلا فحرام) أي إن كان عن شهوة حرم (قوله وأما في زماننا فمنع من الشابة) لا لأنه عورة بل لخوف الفتنة كما قدمه في شروط الصلاة ( رد المحتار: 9/ 610 ط دار المعرفة )
4) Due to the theoretical nature of this question and due to the many questions we have pending, we are unable to answer it at this time. Accept our apologies for this.
And Allah Ta'ala knows best
Mufti Faizal Riza
Darul Ifta Australia answers questions pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, some of these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.fatwa.org.au for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Ifta Australia.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.