Sunnah acts on the day of Eid ul-Fitr:
The following things are sunnah/mustahab on the day of Eid ul-Fitr:
1) To offer Fajr salat in one’s local masjid.
2) To adorn oneself according to the Shariah.
3) To have a bath.
4) To use miswaak.
5) To wear the best of clothing which one possesses.
6) To apply perfume.
7) To wake up very early in the morning.
8) To go early to the masjid/eid-gaah (a field that is used for offering Eid salat).
9) To eat an odd number of something sweet before going to the masjid/eid-gaah.
10) To give sadaqatul Fitr before going to the masjid/eid-gaah.
11) To offer the Eid salaat in the eid-gaah.
12) To go to the masjid/eid-gaah on foot.
13) To return from the masjid/eid-gaah taking a route that is different from the one that he had taken when going towards the masjid/eid-gaah.
14) To exhibit happiness.
15) To give sadaqah profusely.
16) To wear finger ring.
17) To read the following takbeer softly while walking towards the masjid/eid-gaah:
اَللهُ أَكْبَرْ، اَللهُ أَكْبَرْ، لا إِلهَ إِلّا اللهُ، وَاللهُ أَكْبَرْ، اَللهُ أَكْبَرْ، وَلِلّهِ الْحَمْدُ
(Haashiya Ibn Aabideen 3/54 pub. Darul Ma’rifa; Bahishti Zewar1/257)
And Almighty Allah knows best.
 i.e. just before the Eid salaat or before departing for the Eid salaat. As for doing miswaak in wudhu, it is Sunnah mu’akkadah (emphasised Sunnah) at all times, not just on the day of Eid.
 It is not necessary that the clothes are white. This is due to the narration “The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to wear a red burdah (a type of striped garment which is wrapped around the body) on the day of Eid” (Baihaqi, Tabrani). Note: The red burdah mentioned in the narration does not mean pure red. Instead the burdah most likely had red as well as green stripes. (Fathul Qadeer).
 It is best to eat dates (if available; otherwise any sweet item will do) due to the hadith “The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) would not depart (for Eid salat) on the day of Fitr until he would eat dates, and he would eat an odd number” (Bukhari).
 If one is sending his sadaqatul fitr overseas then he should send it in advance so that the poor and needy can receive it by the Eid day, so that they can be relaxed and happy on the day of Eid. See this answer for reference.
 In the Australian context, if at least those living within the vicinity of the masjid practise this Sunnah of going for Eid salat on foot then it will solve a great deal of the traffic and parking problem that is witnessed on the occasion. Here it should be mentioned that causing trouble to others while going to the masjid diminishes the rewards and becomes the means of incurring sins.
 Due to the hadith “On the day of Eid the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) would take a different route (when returning from the eid-gaah)” (Bukhari). Also, by taking a different route there will be more witnesses who will testify to one’s good deed on the day of judgement.
 This is the ruling for the day of Eid. As for other days, it is best for a male not to wear a finger ring, unless he uses it for stamping on documents (as the sultans, qadis and muftis used to do).
Darul Ifta Australia answers questions pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, some of these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.fatwa.org.au for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Ifta Australia.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.