Is eating a crow halal?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
There are three types of crows:
1) Those that eat only carrion
2) Those that eat only crops
3) Those that eat both carrion and crops
It is not permissible to eat the first type, whereas it is permissible to eat the second and third type.
والغراب ثلاثة أنواع : نوع يأكل الجيف فحسب فإنه لا يؤكل ، ونوع يأكل الحب فحسب فإنه يؤكل ، ونوع يخلط بينهما وهو أيضا يؤكل عند الإمام وهو العقعق لأنه يأكل الدجاج وعن أبي يوسف أنه يكره أكله لأنه غالب أكله الجيف ، والأول أصح ( البحر الرائق: 8/172)
( وكذا في فتاوى محمودية: 18/ 221، 226 )
And Allah knows best.
Mufti Faizal Riza
Darul Ifta Australia
Mufti-Online.net answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.mufti-online.net for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Mufti-Online.net bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Mufti-Online.net bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Mufti-Online.net.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.