Assalamu Alikum w.w.
My father in law has passed away and left some property behind. Now my mother in law wants to know in the light of Quran and Sunnah, how to distribute this inheritance property.
People left behind:
Wife: - Deceased person has a wife
Children: - Deceased person has 3 daughters and no son.
Siblings: - Deceased person has a brother and a sister.
Parents: - Deceased person’s parents have already been passed away in his life.
Your valuable advice regarding this matter will be highly appreciated. Thanking you. Jazkallah khairan
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Walaikumussalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu
father in-law’s estate is distributed to his heirs, the following things need
to be taken care of from his estate:
- Funeral expenses (not including any extravagances)
- Debts (if any) including the legal costs
- Bequests (if any) made to non-heirs. This is not to exceed one third of the estate after the above mentioned two things have been settled.
After the above have been taken care of, your father in-law’s entire estate will be divided into 72 equal shares and distributed as follows:
- 9 shares will go to his wife
- 16 shares will go to each of his daughters
- 10 shares will go to his brother
- 5 shares will go to his sister
Note: The answer given is based on the information provided in the question. The answer may not be applicable if necessary information was not provided, such as the existence of other heirs.
And Allah Ta'ala knows best.
Mufti Faizal Riza
Mufti Munib Ahmad
Darul Ifta Australia