1) Who is eligible for fitrana (sadaqatul fitr)?
2) I paid some amount as fitrana to a patient who does not have money for his medicine etc. is he eligible?
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
1) A person who is eligible to receive zakat is eligible to receive fitrana.
2) If he is eligible to receive zakat then yes; otherwise no. As for who is eligible to receive zakat, you can find information on it here: http://www.fatwa.org.au/giving-zakat-to-family-member.html
And Allah Ta'ala knows best
Mufti Faizal Riza
Darul Ifta Australia answers questions pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter, some of these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.fatwa.org.au for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
- The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
- Darul Ifta Australia bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
- This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Ifta Australia.
- Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.